How to Apply
Applicants must submit three copies of their CV (maximum length 3 pages) and a cover letter outlining their vision for the Gallery for the next three years. CVs should include the names and contact details of two independent referees. Please ensure that all submitted materials are clearly marked with the candidate’s name.
Applications must be sent by post to:
Kathryn Comber, Administrator, Courthouse Gallery, Parliament Street, Ennistymon, Co Clare.
Please mark the envelope 'Application for Gallery Coordinator/Curator'
Closing date: 10th September, 2019. Interviews will take place during the week of 23rd September, 2019.
Description of the role - The Gallery Coordinator/Curator will:
1. Implement and manage programme of art exhibitions and art events
- Work with Gallery Committee to select exhibitions on annual or biennial basis.
- Communicate with artists
- Implement existing exhibition calendar and plan future exhibition calendar
- Manage all contractual agreements with exhibiting artists
- Oversee exhibition installation and removal
- Promote sales of Artwork
- Oversee balance of exhibitions
- Oversee Daily Operations of the Gallery
- Liaise with CE workers and voluntary staff
- Provide occasional assistance to studio artists with queries on exhibiting or curating artwork
- Promote the Gallery/Implement Publicity, PR and Fundraising (grant making and maintaining relations with funding bodies)
- Oversee Publicity and PR
- Implement Ideas for Fundraising and Sponsorship initiatives
- Develop Gallery’s profile and audience
- support community audience building
- develop Artistic Vision of gallery
- Consult with Board of Directors, Gallery committee, and Courthouse Administrator as needed
Broad experience and understanding of contemporary artwork, artist practice, art history and art exhibitions. Sound knowledge of curating exhibitions, thorough understanding of art installation techniques and practice. Ability to speak knowledgeably about contemporary art.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organisation and administration skills in a computerized workplace including use of social media, mailing lists, spreadsheets, websites, basic desktop design.
- Ability to prioritise and meet deadlines and experience of managing a wide range of activities, such as exhibition openings, workshops and fundraising events.
- Ability to work well under pressure, and work flexibly and co-operatively as part of a team.
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Availability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as appropriate
- Understanding of the value of community and audience development in the arts
Remuneration: The position will be awarded as a contract for services for one year, renewable yearly up to a maximum of 3 years. The contract is for 20 hours per week at a rate of €13,492 gross per annum. These hours to be arranged as 2 full scheduled days per week and 4 hours per week to be scheduled for exhibitions, artist studio visits, and other duties as needed. The position will require some degree of flexibility of working hours and occasional out of office hours.
About Us: The Courthouse Gallery & Studios is a centre of artistic excellence and an integral part of Ennistymon and North Clare life. The gallery is an exhibition and cultural events space, run to the highest professional standards, serving the local and wider communities with art exhibitions, performances, music and community cultural events including workshops.
The Courthouse Gallery seeks to attract local and national audiences by exhibiting work of the highest standard by local national and international artists, mainly focusing on emerging artists. To be open to all, inclusive in its aims, programming, practice and audience, is the ethos of the Courthouse Gallery.